Wednesday, August 22, 2012

1 year, 1 ano....estou no metade de minha missão agora (im at the halfway mark with my mission now)

So this week I hit my one year mark. I was looking back at all the pictures that I left with and that I have with you all this week and was suprised to realzie that they arent updated theyre all a year ago even though it feels like I left yesterday.

Monday:
So we were able to teach Luana today who is an 11 year old girl who lives by the church and has been going alone for a couple weeks now. We had tried teaching her before but it never worked out. So we taught her and at the end invited her to give the closing prayer. Before she had always been to shy to pray but after some coaxing she gave it. As she prayed I felt the spirit of the lord there strongly confirming to me that he was hearing the prayers of that little girl. It was amazing.

Tuesday:
We had a mini zone conference which really was more like a giant district meeting. It had the oportunity to talk with Elder Nunes about everything that had happened in Rio Branco after I left and it was wonderful to catch up with him. We taught good lessons and were able to help an investigator from another area receive authoriation to be baptized from her father.

Wenesday: We were able to drop off some more of my pants that i needed mended as well as my bag because they all had holes. Ill send you a picture of my pants some day. 

So we were doing a wedding for a family here and we needed another birth certificate for the man in the family, and we had the couple missionaries working on it. So they called us and told us that the second birth certificate would be 230 reais and that it would take 10 days to get there. Weddings here take 15 days to process and thats after you have all the documents. So I flipped because the wedding was on September 8th and the family had been spending lots of money on it. So me and my companion broke the news to them, and luckily they had relatives that live in the state where the birth certificate is so it wasnt too bad but i was stressing alot about this this week. 

Oh and I spoke english in a conversation with a doctor in São Paulo because I have a fungus... again. It was really weird speaking English because since having Elder Nunes as a companion I dont speak English with anyone. Including Americans. Ive said a few phrases and conversed maybe one other time but the only time youll hear me in English is when Im singing. Sorry tangent. But i have medicine so dont worry about the fungus.
Thursday:
I dont remember a ton about this day infact I remember little. But we went to the church that night looking for an Luana so that her mom could sign the baptismal release form and ended up helping out with the mormon helping hands project here which is food storage that they are doing in two liter bottles. 

Friday:
We went to the mission office to pick up the papers from the wedding because we will do it with the couple when the birth certificate arrives. I had the wonderful opporutunity to chat with Elder Shepherd there and also I got a letter from Ben and Caleb which I was most grateful for (ps caleb what was that picture you sent me?). We had the baptismal interview with Luana that morning and she passed with flying colors. When asked why she wanted to be baptized she responded ´´because i want to be a part of Crists church.´´ 

Saturday:
We had a very crazy day today and we ended with the baptism of luana and a wedding of the other elders. I think that Luanas baptism was one of my favorites becasue I felt that she was truly converted. I was granted the honor of baptizing her.

Sunday: 
I got a cold from another elder. Since mom asked (and i was planning on telling anyways) Ill tell you about lunch today. Lunch was rice, black beans, spaghetti, farinha (ground root that is dried) and lots and lots of linguiça. sausauge. It was so much taht it looked like a snake. Something about the culture here in manaus is that a greater part of the shops all close at 11 until 2-3 for lunch and then everyone sleeps which makes it harder to work in these times. This was my week.

Please send me an update picture of the family all together. I would be most appreciative since it has been one year since Ive seen you.

Love Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment